Tis’ the season to be jolly so to avoid turning into mommy Grinch these holidays, here are some fun Christmas craft ideas to keep the children stimulated and out of mischief this summer.
Salt dough ornaments are a sure set way to transfers tiny hand prints into cute tree ornaments or will make as perfect keep sakes for granny and grandpa. (Image credit)
- 12 small hand prints
- 4 cups flour
- 1 cup salt
- 1 ½ cups water
- Place all the ingredients in a mixer and kneed with the paddle attachment for 10-12 minutes.
- Roll out the dough and get your little one to imprint his hands or feet into the dough.
- Prick with a fork to prevent air bubbles and make a hole to hang the
- Place on a greased baking sheet and bake in the oven at 150 degrees for 25 minutes (or longer depending on the thickness of your ornament).
- Allow to cool and harden and then get your little one to decorate as desired.
The salty dough of the before mentioned ornaments was not to my sons good taste so we took to baking some reindeer cookies for Santa as his trusted crew. Here is my favorite cookie dough recipe and decorating ideas.
- ¾ cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- Preheat oven to 175 degrees Celsius.
- In a large bowl. beat together the butter and sugar with an electric beater.
- Add the egg, vanilla, and salt and continue beating until smooth.
- Stir in the flour and knead lightly until a soft dough forms.
- Divide the dough in half and then wrap each half in waxed paper to form a cylinder about 2.5cm in diameter. Refrigerate the dough until firm, about 2 hours.
- Cut the dough into 0.5cm slices and arrange on greased cookie sheets.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes.
- Decorate with a red M&M for a reindeer nose and an icing pen to trace the eyes and antlers.
Alternatively, use a gingerbread man cookie cutter and invert to decorate as Rudolf, one of Santa’s little helpers. (Image credit)
See some extra traditional cookie recipes here.
Lastly, our Christmas cards are a Christmas craft for the entire family to get involved with (yes, even Dad!)(image credit)
What you need
- White paper
- Brown Paint
- Brown Marker
- Google Eyes
- Black and red craft foam
- Using the brown paint, get the whole family to place a thumb print on a piece of card.
- Allow to dry and then using your brown marker, draw antlers on the reindeer.
- Glue on two googly eyes and a nose cut from your craft foam.
Happy crafting and happy holidays!
Make sure that you don't miss out on any lovilee posts by opting to get them via email. Click here to sign up.
about the author
I love vintage everything (clothes, glassware, furniture, jewelry) and hunting for these treasure. Flowers in tea cups or buckets or just flowers in general (peonies are my favourite). Taking pictures, looking at pictures or just looking at something that will make a beautiful picture. Baking beautiful things is how I like to treat my family and friends. -