For my daughter’s second birthday, I made this Chocolate Coffee Cake for the adults. The sour cream glaze gives this chocolate coffee cake a real yummy twist. I loved the layers! Not a single crumb was left on the plate at the end of the party and everyone wanted the cake recipe, so here it goes!
- 80 ml castor sugar
- 100 ml chopped pecan nuts
- 100 ml choc chips
- 50 ml cornfour
- 500 ml cake flour
- 5 ml baking powder
- 5 ml bicarbonate of soda
- 300 ml castor sugar
- 135 ml butter
- 2 eggs
- 10 ml vanilla essence
- 220 ml sour cream
- 150 ml strong coffee, chilled
- 100 g dark chocolate, broken in pieces
- 30 ml sour cream
- 50 ml chopped hazelnuts
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celcius.
- Mix together the castor sugar, pecan nuts and choc chips.
- Sift the cornflour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and a pinch of salt.
- Beat the sugar and butter in a seperate bowl until creamy. Add the eggs and vanilla and beat well.
- Mix the sour cream, coffee and flour mix into the butter and egg mix.
- Place a third of the batter in a 23 cm ring pan. Sprinkle half of the nut and sugar mix over and place another third of the batter on top.
- Sprinkle the rest of the nut and sugar mix over and top up with the rest of the batter.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes or until an inserted skewer comes out clean.
- Leave to cool and turn out.
- Melt the chocolate for the glaze and mix with the sour cream. Spread over the cooled cake and sprinkle with hazelnuts.
Recipe from the “Ideas for Kids Parties – Summer 2010″ magazine
Make sure that you don't miss out on any lovilee posts by opting to get them via email. Click here to sign up.
about the author
I am a creative at heart who loves being surrounded by lovilee things. I am a wife, a mom and an on-line shopping addict that loves the colour purple. I believe that you should do what you love and love what you do! -