My husband loves pie – all shapes, flavors and sizes. So, after having roasted chicken, there is left over meat and it becomes a pie! When stretched for time, this is the easiest yet delicious way to make chicken pie. The chicken and basil is a great taste combination. The topping is not really a crust, but very light and melts in your mouth. The following recipe is for half a chicken.
- 1 egg
- 125 ml sunflower oil
- 125 ml milk
- 190 ml maizena
- 3 heaped Tbsp flour
- 10 ml baking powder
- 2 ml salt
- Deboned chicken meat, cut into pieces
- an almost full tin of drained, chopped mushrooms. Quantity depending on taste (fresh mushrooms can also be used)
- 1 packet Chicken and mushroom soup powder
- 300 ml boiling water
- 2 blocks of prepared, frozen basil (a handful of fresh, chopped basil will do)
- half a hand full of fresh, chopped parsley
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celcius.
- Start with the filling by placing the chicken and mushrooms in a saucepan and heat slowly.
- Prepare the soup by mixing the powder and water and adding this to the meat mixture.
- Add the herbs. Extra salt should not be necessary as the soup is prepared with less water than indicated on the packet.
- Stir until well mixed and thickened.
- To prepare the crust/topping, beat together the egg, oil and milk.
- Add the maizena and cornflour and mix well.
- Place the meat into an ovenproof dish and pour over the topping.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes.
Serve with a green salad of leaves, avocado, tomato and litchis dressed with wine vinegar.
Make sure that you don't miss out on any lovilee posts by opting to get them via email. Click here to sign up.
about the author
I am a creative at heart who loves being surrounded by lovilee things. I am a wife, a mom and an on-line shopping addict that loves the colour purple. I believe that you should do what you love and love what you do! -