Couple: James & Leigh-Robin
Wedding date: 07.04.2012
Venue: Fynbos Estate, near Malmesbury
Photography: André and Selma, Expressions Photography, Cape Town
About the couple (as told by the bride)…
We met in 2009 when James was visiting South Africa from the UK to research a Lonely Planet travel guidebook. He was celebrating in Cape Town at the end of a successful trip when, in time-honoured fashion, he met Leigh-Robin in a bar on Long Street. A long-distance relationship ensued, until Leigh-Robin eventually persuaded James to swap London for the Cape’s mountains and beaches.
Indeed, the beautiful local scenery played an important role when James popped the question, which he did on a picnic in the not-too-shabby surrounds of Silvermine Nature Reserve. Leigh-Robin was bowled over: he had pulled the wool over her eyes by hinting that a white Christmas might make him feel romantic when they visited England that December. We got married in April at the beautiful Fynbos Estate, an organic wine farm in the Swartland, with 80 guests from the UK and across South Africa.
We didn’t want a traditional, frilly day and had lots of ideas for creating something fun and casual but still special. The DJ played swing, we opted for fire performers instead of a cake, and we went for a vintage, carnivalesque theme with decorative touches such as bunting and balloons. In the event it rained, but the autumn clouds didn’t manage to dampen the ‘lekker kuier’.
What the photographers had to say about the day…
There is one thing that nobody has control over on a wedding day, and that is the weather… and so it was that on Leigh-Robin and James’ wedding day – the rain was bucketing down! But this did not dampen their spirits, and their day was as PERFECT as it could have been! At least James’ family from the UK felt at home in the wet weather!
Leigh-Robin with her sparkly, spontaneous nature, and James with his analytical and adventurous spirit are truly meant for each other! There is a tenderness and familiarity between them that is so awesome to witness!
- Dress: Anje, Cape Town
- Hair and make-up: Yolande du Toit, Cape Town 082 823 5371
- Shoes: Anella Wedding Shoes, Somerset West 076 306 5585
- Suit: Eurosuit, Canal Walk, Cape Town
- Bridesmaids’ dresses: Mr & Mrs, cnr Kloof and De Lorentz, Cape Town 021 424 4387
- Catering: Fynbos Estate, near Malmesbury
- Wedding officer: Johan Botha, Cape Town 082 897 4849
- Prenuptial contract: Tuanette Juby, Somerset West 072 544 9288
- Guitarist (ceremony): Peter Narun, Cape Town 083 301 8591
- DJ: Gerard Samuels, MGM DJs, Muizenberg
- Flowers: Kenly Flowers, Woodstock, Cape Town 021 461 9140
- Décor hire: 4 Every Event, Grabouw 021 859 4580
- Balloons: The Party Warehouse, Salt River, Cape Town 082 468 4428
- Fire performers: Fire Tribe, Cape Town
For more photos of the lovilee day visit www.expphoto.co.za
Make sure that you don't miss out on any lovilee posts by opting to get them via email. Click here to sign up.
about the author
I am a creative at heart, who likes being surrounded by pretty things. My new house was the main inspiration for Lovilee, finding time to prettify, paint and ponder about change. Coffee, lavender, numbers, the color purple and my jeans inspire me. I believe that you should do what you love and love what you do! -