As September denotes the beginning of Spring – yay! – a quiche and salad is a perfect light meal for a lazy picnic. Asparagus is a spring vegetable and interestingly a very good source of fiber. This vegetarian recipe is easy to make and really delicious. It can be baked as one quiche or individual portions by using ramkin dishes or a muffin pan – which I did. Should individual portions be made, the recipe will yield 5-6 portions.
- 125 g margarine
- 250 ml flour
- 100 ml cream
- 100 g margarine
- 250 ml milk
- 60 ml flour
- 60 ml corn flour
- 500 ml grated cheddar cheese
- 1 tin asparagus pieces (salad cuts) – drained, but do not discard the liquid
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celcius.
- Prepare the crust by mixing the margarine and flour together, forming the same consistency as bread crumbs.
- Add the cream and mix well.
- Press into a greased pie dish, individual ramekins or muffin pan indents.
- Start preparing the filling by bringing the milk and margarine to the boil over medium heat.
- In a seperate bowl, mix the flour and corn flour with some of the liquid from the asparagus.
- Add the rest of the asparagus liquid to the mixture and then add this to the milk mixture.
- Add the grated cheese, and season with salt and pepper.
- Slowly bring to the boil and stir continuously until the mixture seems to pull away from the edges.
- Add asparagus cuts.
- Spoon onto the crust and bake for 30 minutes.
Small pieces of cooked bacon can be added to the filling for a meatier option.
Make sure that you don't miss out on any lovilee posts by opting to get them via email. Click here to sign up.
about the author
If it is different, made with love and contains Italian parsley or rosemary, I love it! I'm inspired by my daughter, born Sept 2010, a good latte served with a pretty piece of cake or even better: a carrot and cream cheese-centered muffin. I live by the motto "If you love what you do, you'll never work a day". May you be inspired to live a lovilee life! -