As September denotes the beginning of Spring – yay! – a quiche and salad is a perfect light meal for a lazy picnic. Asparagus is a spring vegetable and interestingly a very good source of fiber. This vegetarian recipe is easy to make and really delicious. It can be baked as one quiche or individual portions by using ramkin dishes or a muffin pan – which I did. Should individual portions be made, the recipe will yield 5-6 portions.
- 125 g margarine
- 250 ml flour
- 100 ml cream
- 100 g margarine
- 250 ml milk
- 60 ml flour
- 60 ml corn flour
- 500 ml grated cheddar cheese
- 1 tin asparagus pieces (salad cuts) – drained, but do not discard the liquid
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celcius.
- Prepare the crust by mixing the margarine and flour together, forming the same consistency as bread crumbs.
- Add the cream and mix well.
- Press into a greased pie dish, individual ramekins or muffin pan indents.
- Start preparing the filling by bringing the milk and margarine to the boil over medium heat.
- In a seperate bowl, mix the flour and corn flour with some of the liquid from the asparagus.
- Add the rest of the asparagus liquid to the mixture and then add this to the milk mixture.
- Add the grated cheese, and season with salt and pepper.
- Slowly bring to the boil and stir continuously until the mixture seems to pull away from the edges.
- Add asparagus cuts.
- Spoon onto the crust and bake for 30 minutes.
Small pieces of cooked bacon can be added to the filling for a meatier option.
Make sure that you don't miss out on any lovilee posts by opting to get them via email. Click here to sign up.
about the author
I am a creative at heart who loves being surrounded by lovilee things. I am a wife, a mom and an on-line shopping addict that loves the colour purple. I believe that you should do what you love and love what you do! -