Easter is synonymous with eggs and bunny rabbits. Why not make some clay bunnies for table decorations with the kids using Air Dry Clay?
All you need is a packet of air dry clay which you can buy from CNA or even online at Take-a-Lot. You will need a paintbrush and some paint. You can let your imagination run wild making all types of decorations. Let them dry and then have fun painting them and making them your own.
Here is how to make your Bunny ornaments
- Get a small breakfast bowl and place a piece of brown paper or wax proof paper into the bowl (try not to crinkle the paper as the clay will take on the crinkle effect when drying)
- Using a rolling pin roll out the clay to a 3-5mm thickness.
- Cut your desired shape of the bunny and place the shape into the bowl with the ears going up the sides of the bowl.
- Leave in the sun to dry. Paint and decorate as you wish with paint or permanent markers. You can cover the whole bunny in 2-3 layers of varnish to protect the ornament.
If you want to make a round bunny.
- Roll a ball of clay.
- Roll out another small piece of clay with a rolling pin and cut the ears out of the rolled clay.
- To insert the ears cut a small incision into the top of the ball of clay and using a knife slide the ears into the incision and squish the ball closed around the ears.
- Let dry and paint.
Tip: To smooth any rough edges dip your finger into water and gently rub the area till smooth.
Images: Lauren Kim Photography