This Red Pepper Canape recipe is a hit at any function or just for lunch. The saltiness from the anchovies and the sweetness and softness from the peppers is the perfect combination slathered over toasted ciabatta.
It stores for two weeks due to the olive oil and salt – so make ahead of time and avoid the stress of thinking of something wonderful to eat when guests come around.
Red Pepper Canape recipe
- 4 Red Peppers
- 1/2 Cup of Olive Oil
- 1 Cup of de-pipped olives
- 4 Cloves of Garlic (Crushed)
- 20 Thyme Sprigs (leaves removed)
- 20 Anchovies
- 8 Mint Leaves – finely chopped
- 20g Basil Leaves – finely chopped
- Grill the red peppers under the grill until charred and black.
- Place the peppers into a plastic bag and seal the bag for 10 minutes until the peppers have cooled.
- Remove the skin from the peppers and cut the seeds out of the peppers
- Slice the peppers into thin slices
- Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan and fry the peppers in the oil.
- Add the garlic and thyme and saute for 10 minutes
- Add the anchovies and turn up the heat slightly and fry until the anchovies are softened and almost disintegrated.
- Remove from the heat and add the rest of the herbs. Mix well
- Season and store in a sealed jar in the fridge
- Serve of toasted ciabattas.
Images: Lauren Kim Photography