Everyone loves a good before and after, for me especially when it comes to a beautiful room reveal. I excited to share my light and airy (with touches of pinks) guest room makeover in collaboration with D-Con. This room feels like a breath of fresh air and is now Pinterest Perfect.
This room is finally living up to its potential, I think the reason being that I had some professional and expert assistance in transformation the space to be all I had envisioned it to be. There is obviously a time and place to DIY, but when it comes to certain aspects like electricity and carpentry where I have no experience in, outsourcing is the best option.
Who is D-Con?
D-Con is short for Delta Construction – a company born in 2011 that specialises in renovations, new builds and building maintenance projects in the residential and small-scale commercial sector. D-Con is based in Lynnwood, Pretoria, they are the sister company of Studio Delta that produces handcrafted swoon-worthy local furniture. They are also affiliated with the NHBRC (National Home Builders Registration Council) for peace of mind.
Inspiration behind the Guest Room Makeover
Trouble starts every year after I watch The Block Australia, last season I was inspired by some wall panels that I saw used in some of the houses and tried to find them locally with Zero success. I drew up some plans and contacted Vusi from Native Decor, who custom made the panels for me to use as a headboard. The color inspiration for the room came from two original art pieces I purchased at the last Konfetti Love Christmas Market – I knew my plan was coming together!
I had the wall panels at home for a while but could not quite figure out the installation and also wanted to replace the cupboard doors DIY style, but in the end knew this was not as easy as I anticipated after hubby and I tried to revamp a kitchen in our rental unit together. I was trilled when D-Con contacted me and I asked whether they would be up to assisting me with this project of mine.
There was such a sense of relief when they came out for a site visit and advised that my dream was within reach! It literally ONLY took them 3 days to revamp the room and I am beyond happy with the results.
Before and After
- Changing the paint color to a pure white – I could not believe what a change painting the room in white made. The room has a total different feel and in a good way – I was really scared that the end result would have a hospital like feel, but with the dark floors the white was a win! D-Con recoated both the ceiling and the walls and got rid of many imperfections and holes in the walls.
- Removing the old ceiling fan and replacing it with downlights – I have no idea why we never had downlights in our homes until now. I love that the old ceiling fan is gone, its placement was not entered to anything in the room and irritated me every time I walked into the space. The electrician from Delta Construction did the installation and removal of the old lights and now I have four perfectly placed downlights that provides the room with way better light than the old fan ever did. He also added two new wall plugs behind the bed which makes this room so much more functional.
- Out with the old wrapped cupboard doors and in with new shaker style doors – the old doors were falling apart and the wrapping was peeling off. It was still the original doors that we purchased the home with and updating them made such a big difference. I ordered the handles through the Reliable store and they were a steal and had the doors custom made. D-Con expertly fitted the doors for me and also added the handles, they even made it look easy! (I still have nightmares of the kitchen makeover – getting handles straight is a mission, never mind trying to set them hinges. I WAS IMPRESSED.) The team even went the extra mile when they added some melamine wrap to cover exposed joints of the cupboard that elevated the cupboard even further.
- New one-of-a-kind headboard – This has to be my favourite feature of the room! I initially wanted to add panelling to all of the walls, but each of the walls have a different shape so am glad that I stuck to just doing one wall with this panelling that doubles up as a headboard. I am even more grateful that I had experts install and paint this beautiful show stopper.
- New door arches – How cool are these door arches? I also had them custom made by Native Decor and the D-Con team installed and painted them for me. It really makes a plain drab door look beautiful and compliments the bathroom arches as well.
- Lengthening the old bay-window curtain rails – In my initial consult with Delta Construction I mentioned that I was really irritated by the fact that I have a beautiful bay window with rails so short that the placement of the curtains disguise the fact that the window is actually a bay window. By custom bending new rails for me and re-installing them I now have a beautiful window that you can admire whether day or night!
The Decor Details
- Bedside tables – I wanted to have the focal point behind the bed on the frames and the beautiful headboard, so opted for side tables with thin gold frame and glass via Superbalist
- Reading lights – The white on white wall-mounted side lamps are from Iconomy that I purchased some time ago.
- Bedding – I fell in love with the tartan bedding also thanks to The Block Australia and found the perfect locally made set by Phlo Studios. Brings in some country romance into the room.
- Curtains – The sheer curtains are from H&M Home.
If you are considering a new build or renovation in the Pretoria or Johannesburg area why not get in touch with the team at Delta Construction, they have a portfolio of some of the previous project that they did listed under their Renovation Projects on their website. I found that they were really professional throughout the whole process and competent in the execution of the makeover.
Let's get socialInstagram: @lovilee_za
or subscribe to never miss out on any new articles in this link.