During the last weeks of my first pregnancy, I craved chocolate and oranges! I was delighted when I saw I had an old magazine clipping for a Chocolate and Orange sponge cake recipe and I made it straight away. Somehow it didn’t proof to be a success, so I altered the recipe and made it again – topped with blueberries as I had some in my fridge. What an amazing chocolaty-fruity feast!
Cake Ingredients (I suggest making it twice for a double layered cake)
- 125 ml orange juice (fresh preferably)
- 10 ml butter
- 3 large eggs, seperated
- 200 ml castor sugar
- 200 ml self-raising flour
- 2 ml baking powder
- 50 ml cocoa powder
- 15 g soft butter
- 80 g icing sugar, or a bit more should you prefer a less runny version
- 20 g cocoa powder
- 40 ml orange juice (fresh preferably)
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celcius.
- Heat the orange juice and butter until warm.
- Beat the egg whites until stiff and add the sugar in 3 batches, until the mixture is thick and glossy.
- Add egg yolks and beat until just mixed..
- Sift the dry ingredients and gently fold into the egg mixture.
- Fold in the orange juice mixture.
- Pour into a greased, 20cm cake tin and bake for 20 imnutes or until an inserted skewer comes out clean.
- Turn the cake out onto a cooling rack.
- To make the icing, beat butter, icing sugar and cocoa powder together and add enough orange juice to make a spreadable icing. Mix well.
- Spread icing onto the cooled cake. Should you have baked two, spread half of the icing mix on one layer of the cake, place the other layer on top and spread the rest of the icing.
- Decorate with orange zest or other fruit.
Tell us what you think below!
Make sure that you don't miss out on any lovilee posts by opting to get them via email. Click here to sign up.
about the author
If it is different, made with love and contains Italian parsley or rosemary, I love it! I'm inspired by my daughter, born Sept 2010, a good latte served with a pretty piece of cake or even better: a carrot and cream cheese-centered muffin. I live by the motto "If you love what you do, you'll never work a day". May you be inspired to live a lovilee life! -