Have you ever tried or wondered how to make donuts at home? Today I share an easy donut recipe with you that will enable you to make these mini homemade donuts. You don’t have to be a donut maker to achieve this, just follow the recipe and simple steps below and you will be wow’ing people with your new found donut making skills. You can either use a cake premix store bought – just follow the instructions to make them or you can follow the donut recipe below.
Before you start, you will need to purchase a donut mould. You can purchase a whole donut making kit or some moulds from Yuppiechef, there are also some on Takealot or binuns. It is also worth visiting a local cake shop as they might also have a pan or mould in stock.
Baked donut recipe
- 10 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- pinch of salt
How to make donuts?
- Pre-heat your oven to 180 degrees Celcius.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, a pinch of salt, cinnamon and nutmeg and set the batter aside.
- In a separate bowl, mix the melted butter and sugars together until smooth. Add in the eggs and vanilla and stir until completely combined.
- Pour in the buttermilk and mix until smooth. Stir in the flour mixture and mix until just incorporated. It is important to not over mix the batter or donuts will be tough.
- Put the mixture into a piping bag and pipe into silicone donut molds.
- Cook the donuts for 5-6 minutes at 180 degrees Celcius.
Donut icing ingredients
(Donut glazing alternative)
- 1/4 cup of milk
- 1/4 cup of butter melted
- 2 cups icing sugar
- Food colouring of your choice
- Mix the milk and butter ingredients together.
- Add the two cups of icing sugar.
- Add 1 or 2 drops of the food colour of your choice.
- Mix the mixture together vigorously and decorate then decorate the mini donuts using a spoon or a piping bag.
Homemade donuts are the best! But remember that they have to be served immediately or on the same day of baking as they are most delicious then!
All images and food styling by Lauren Kim Food Photography.
PS: have you seen the Unicorn party we posted – complete with a donut wall?