This is the first in our monthly recipes that we’d like to share with you lovilees. Pizza is such a nice meal to serve to guests, who does not loooove pizza? Simone from Yellow Papaya provided us with this mouthwatering pizza recipe with blue cheese, pear & caramelised red onion.
Download a lovilee recipe card here.
Ingredients for the Pizza Dough
- 500g Bread Flour
- 1 packet instant yeast
- 250 ml lukewarm water
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar
Ingredients for the tomato base
- 1 tin whole peeled tomatoes
- 1 red onion
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped finely
- 1 carrot, peeled and finely grated
- 1 Sprig Origanum
- 1 Sprig Flat leaf Parsley
- Olive oil
- Salt & Pepper to taste
For the caramelised onions
- 2 Red Onions, sliced thinly
- 2 cloves garlic
- 4 tbsp sugar
- 200 g Mozzarella Cheese
- 50 g Blue Cheese
- 1 Pear, sliced thinly
- Caramelised Onions
- Mix the bread flour, yeast, salt and sugar together.
- Slowly add the water till your dough comes together. It should be pliable and should be able to knead easily. If you add to much water you can add a little flour again to achieve the right consistency.
- Knead the dough for 15 minutes until the surface is smooth and when you press you finger into the dough it snaps back quickly.
- Place the dough in a glass bowl with a little bit of oil, cover with a dish cloth and place in a warm place and raise the dough till double in size.
- Heat the olive oil in a pan and add the onions and garlic when the oil is hot. Fry the onions till translucent and the garlic have started to colour.
- Add the whole peeled tomatoes, carrot and herbs.
- Cook on a very low heat with the lid on for approximately 30-45 min. Stirring the pot periodically to make sure it doesn’t burn on the bottom. Cool the tomato mixture before using on the pizza dough.
- In a small sauce pan add your red onions, garlic and sugar and stir until the sugar is dissolved. Keep stirring and cooking the mixture until the sugar turns a caramel brown. Take of heat and cool down before putting on the pizza.
- Roll the dough on a floured surface to the shape of your baking pan.
- Take a big spoon and distribute the tomato base evenly onto the pizza dough. The more tomato base you put on the softer your pizza will be. So if you want nice and crispy bases stick with the minimum tomato base.
- Then add the pear slices and place a slice of pear every 2 cm in two rows on the pizza. Top with blue cheese and caramelised onions and finally mozzarella cheese.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven at 180°C oven for 15-20 min or until the mozzarella cheese is melted and turning brown on the edges.
Let's get socialInstagram: @lovilee_za
or subscribe to never miss out on any new articles in this link.