This DIY terrarium tutorial is for all of you who say you cannot grow anything but are desperate for a little garden. These little terrariums can be as big or as small as you want. The terrarium succulents you chose are all your choice – try keep them as small as you can as they will grow and grow. All plants use carbon dioxide for food to make oxygen so by having a little garden indoors you are cleaning the air and providing more oxygen. Here is a little DIY tutorial on how to make your own Zen garden.
A terrarium make for a great hostess gift or simply use it as a table decoration or a statement piece in your entry way.
What you need for this DIY terrarium?
- A Bowl or Vessel to make your Terrarium in (This one is actually a tea light holder from Loads of Living)
- Small Gravel
- Potting Soil
- Beach Sand
- Small succulents
- Decorative stones or figurines (optional)
Terrarium DIY step-by-step instructions
- Place a layer of the small gravel into the bowl.
- Mix 1/3 potting soil and 1/3 sand in a separate bowl.
- Place half the soil mixture onto the gravel.
- Place the succulents in their position, add the rest of the soil around the succulents – compressing down slightly to secure the plants in their place.
- Sprinkle some gravel around the succulents *this is optional – you can add beach sand or leave it as is.
- Add some decorative stones.
- Use a spray bottle to water the terrarium once a week.
We would LOVE to see your DIY terrariums. Please post images of them on Instagram tagging me #lovilee.
EXPERT TIPS: Never put your terrarium in direct sunlight as it might cause your plants to wilt. Do also not over water them as condensation will keep them moist.
All images and styling by Lauren Kim Photography.
Let's get socialInstagram: @lovilee_za
or subscribe to never miss out on any new articles in this link.