I have seen plenty of these streamer / tissue paper tassel backdrops online, so I thought that the princess’ 3rd birthday party was as good a time as ever to try put one of these pretties together. I asked friendy, Melanie Wessels (who also took all of the amazing phodies below and of the party) whether she would be able to help. She is an awesome party planner and fellow creative and even though I am also creative I think my design would have been very chess board like, as I just can’t do non-symmetrical or non-geo patterns. Melanie literally saved the day!
What you will need to make a tassel photo backdrop?
- A grid wall of sorts (I rented the white mesh screen backdrop from Moi Decor Hire)
- Tissue Paper in the colors of your choice (I would recommend using 3-5 colors at most from Paper Packaging Place)
- Gold, iridescent or any other metallic paper tassels to make the wall ‘pop’ (I purchased mine from a party store)
- A pair of scissors
- Clear adhesive tape
How to make the tissue paper tassel party backdrop
Follow this video tutorial on Youtube for the tassel DIY or continue with the steps below.
- Start by cutting the open end of the tissue paper in strips, leaving a 6cm or so gap at the closed end. To save time you can cut a few pages at once.
- Separate the pages and open them up. Fold the page in half and start rolling the paper in a tight-ish roll.
- Starting at the bottom of the wall. Place the one fringed side of the tassel through the grid that you are using for the backdrop and twist the tassel so that it stays fixed.
- Work your way upwards until you are happy with the colors and design.
- Add the metallic tassels afterwards in places to make the wall ‘pop’. Fasten these with clear adhesive tape.
I would LOVE to hear what you think of my backdrop?! I used mine behind the candy table, but it is a great idea for a photo backdrop as well. I cannot wait to share the rest of the party images with you! Here with one of me and the birthday girl so long.
Let's get socialInstagram: @lovilee_za
or subscribe to never miss out on any new articles in this link.