Today I share a Melanzane Parmigiana Recipe, meaning ‘aubergine Parmesan’ in Italian. It is a vegetarian bake with a home-made tomato sauce and is ideal for a light spring or summer lunch.
PARMIGIANA DI MELANZANE
- 1kg Aubergines
- Flour for coating
- Olive Oil (for Frying)
- 35g Parmesan (grated)
- 400g Mozzarella – thinly sliced
- Salt and Pepper
- Home Made Tomato Sauce
- Fresh Basil or Parsley
- Wash the aubergines and cut into rounds about 1cm thick, sprinkle with salt and leave to “sweat” for 15 minutes. Wipe and dry the slices with paper towel.
- Coat the slices in seasoned flour (lightly – using a plastic bag).
- Heat some oil in a pan and fry the aubergine until golden brown on both sides.
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees. Grease a shallow baking dish or tin and spread some tomato sauce on the bottom. Then cover with a layer of aubergine. Sprinkle some Parmesan season with salt and pepper and layer mozzarella on top. Spoon tomato sauce and repeat using all the ingredients finishing off with a layer of tomato sauce and a sprinkle of Parmesan.
- Sprinkle a little olive oil on top and bake for 45 minutes.
- Decorate with fresh basil leaves.
- Serve Hot.
- 1 Onion finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic crushed
- Olive oil
- Dried Chilli Flakes
- 2 Tins of tomato
- Salt and Pepper
- Fresh Herbs
- Saute the onions in some oil until soft and opaque.
- Add the garlic and a dash of Chilli Flakes (or more if you like it Hot) and stir.
- Add the tins of tomato and reduce the heat to a simmer.
- Season with salt and pepper and add the finely chopped herbs.
- Simmer until the sauce reduces to a nice thick consistency.
- Puree in a blender.
Images: Lauren Kim Photography
Let's get socialInstagram: @lovilee_za
or subscribe to never miss out on any new articles in this link.