As we are counting off the days to spring, there are sure to be some days still left to cook a warm and hearty meal. In need of some winter dinner ideas? We share this lovilee Osso Bucco recipe with you today, to spoil your family with.
Osso Bucco with Risotto Rice recipe
Ingredients for the Osso Bucco
- 90g Butter
- 3 Cloves of Garlic
- 1 Onion (finely diced)
- 2 carrots (peeled and chopped)
- 3 Sticks of Celery (finely chopped)
- 4-6 Veal Shanks or Knuckles
- 4 Tablespoons of Olive Oil
- 150ml Dry White Wine
- 150ml Chicken Stock
- 4 Tablespoons Tomato Paste
- 1 Teaspoon Thyme
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 1 Inch of Lemon Rind
- 4 Anchovy Fillets
- 1 Teaspoon Grated Lemon Zest
- 4 Teaspoons Fresh Parsley Chopped
- Heat 30g of butter in a pan and add the carrots, onions and celery and crushed garlic. Cook until the onions are golden brown. Remove from heat and transfer the vegetables to a large deep oven proof dish.
- Coat the shanks in seasoned flour. Heat the remaining butter and oil in a large frying pan and add the shanks and brown well on all sides. Remove from the pan.
- Add the vegetables back into the pot and place the meat on top of the vegetables. In a separate jug mix the wine, chicken stock and tomato paste well. Pour the liquid over the meat and vegetables. Add the herbs and lemon rind and cover the pot and bake for 90 minutes at 180 degrees Celsius.
- Add the anchovy fillets 5 minutes before the end of the cooking time and stir in.
- Serve with lemon zest and chopped parsley sprinkled on top.
Ingredients for the Risotto Rice
- 375g Aborio Rice
- 60g Butter
- 1 large onion (finely diced)
- 1/2 cup of dry white wine
- 6 Cups of hot chicken stock
- 1/4 teaspoon Saffron
- 30g Butter (Extra)
- 4 Tablespoons Grated Parmesan Cheese
- Melt the butter and saute the onion until tender and opaque.
- Add the rice and stir until all the rice is covered in butter. Add the saffron and stir.
- Add the wine and one cup of stock to the rice and stir continuously until the liquid has been absorbed.
- Add another cup of stock and stir until the liquid has been absorbed. Keep adding the stock one cup at a time stirring in between each cup until the liquid has been absorbed (be patient – this takes time).
- Once the liquid has been absorbed stir in the extra butter and the Parmesan cheese.
- Serve with the Osso Bucco and a glass of chiante red wine.
All images and food styling by Lauren Kim Food Photography.
If you like easy to make recipes and are a fan of healthy food, try this BACON, ROCKET AND TOMATO ROSTI RECIPE.
Let's get socialInstagram: @lovilee_za
or subscribe to never miss out on any new articles in this link.