I know that valentines’ has come and gone, but sometimes we need to make someone feel that extra little special! We thought it might be good to share this small Berry Chocolate Cakes recipe for any special occasion – these Individual Desserts are both pretty and delicious and can easily form part of your table decorations.
Mini Chocolate Berry Chocolate Cakes Recipe
Preparation Time: 30 minutes | Serves: 6 – 8
1 Standard Chocolate Cake baked in a flat cake tin. We use this chocolate cupcake recipe, but baked it in a flat baking tin for around 25-30 minutes.
Strawberry Coulis and Blueberry Coulis
Toppings ideas for decoration
Spun sugar for decoration
- 100g Castor Sugar
- Use a moist Chocolate Cake recipe to bake 1 layer of chocolate cake. Cut out round circles from the cake to be the correct width of a breakfast punch glass.
- Make the strawberry coulis by adding chopped or halved strawberries to a saucepan on medium heat. Heat them until the juices start to extract from the fruit. Add the icing sugar and stir well. Boil the strawberries for a further 20 minutes until it becomes thick and saucy. Puree them well until smooth.
- Layer the glasses with one layer of chocolate cake, then coulis, another round of cake and coulis to finish.
- Place mixed berries on the top of the small chocolate cake desserts.
- Should you want to, make spun sugar to garnish each dessert. Make it by adding the castor sugar to a saucepan on low – medium heat. Do not add water or stir at this stage. Move the pot around to ensure even distribution of heat. Sugar syrup will appear on the bottom of the pan. Move the pot around until all the sugar crystals has melted or the syrup has reached a temperature of 155 degrees celcius. Remove the pot from the heat. On a clean smooth surface, use a fork to lift up some of the sugar syrup. Move the fork from side to side over the surface, very quickly to make strands of sugar. Lift the sugar (angel hair) from the surface, be careful not to burn, and bend it while it’s still warm.
- Use the spun sugar to decorate your desserts.
*A blueberry coulis can be made from the same recipe above. Follow the same steps than the Strawberry Coulis, just replacing the 300g strawberries with 150g blueberries.
Images and Individual Desserts recipe by Our Recipe Journal.
Let's get socialInstagram: @lovilee_za
or subscribe to never miss out on any new articles in this link.