The best air freshner is the ones that you make yourself! Today I share three simple DIYs on how to make your own natural car air freshner.
Our dogs are our world and we love taking them everywhere with us – the beach, the forest, the park and even our local coffee shop. My dogs are Labrador’s which means they will always find the puddle of water to swim in. They swim in the sea, the rivers and middle puddles – we do not stop them as they are so happy we cannot bring ourselves to break up their joyful fun. The by product of having fun is that our car (more often than not!) smells like wet dog! One day I decided I needed something a bit more than just having the windows open to help with the smell so I decided to make my own car air fresheners.
There are three different car deodorizer DIYs that you can try
1. Fragranced wooden clothes peg air freshner
Take a clean wooden clothes peg and drop your favourite essential oil onto the peg. Wait for the oil to be absorbed into the wood and add a few more drops onto the peg. Place the peg onto the air vent in your car, as the air rushes past it will help fill your car with beautiful aromas. (Make sure that you use the wooden pegs, not the bamboo clothes pegs as they are sealed and will not absorb the oils.)
2. Pipe cleaner or Pom Pom car freshner
Using small Pom poms (bought at a craft shop) or pipe cleaners – create a circle. Tie a small piece of string around the circle to create a loop on which to tie the circle onto your car. Drop a few drops of your favourite essential oil onto the pipe cleaners / Pom poms and let the oil sink in. Hang the circle from the mirror or tie it onto one of your air vents to allow the fragrance to drift through the car.
3. Wax melts car scents
This car air freshener is a great option if you live in a hot climate. The heat will melt the wax melts which will release the smell of your essential oil through the car – through the little holes in the salt shaker. The salt shaker makes this a very clean and effective way to bring some freshness to your car. (They are available from Consol Glass)
All you need to create this easy air freshener is
- 2 Tablespoon Coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon Cocoa butter
- 20 drops Essential oil
How to make the Wax melts car scents
- Place the coconut oil and cocoa butter in a double boiler or in a microwave and heat til dissolved.
- Add your essential oil and mix well.
- Pour into silicone molds and place in the fridge til hard.
- Remove from the fridge and take them out of the mold and place them in a salt shaker.
- Place in the car and let the sun work it’s magic.
Some ideas for essential oils for your car freshner
- Lavender – will help you relax (good for road rage!)
- Orange or Peppermint – will help perk you up and combat fatigue (Great way to start the morning)
- Lemon – uplifts the mood and cleans the air.
Let's get socialInstagram: @lovilee_za
or subscribe to never miss out on any new articles in this link.