I am a self-confessed lover of artificial plants – not the fake looking ones but those that are so true to the real thing that you almost have to look twice. I am kinda unsure when my love for artificial plants started, but after posting the DIY last year on how to make your own green wall hanging I leaped into action and added a few more pieces to my collection. Having greenery of sorts whether living or fake in the home makes me feel more relaxed in my home and recent trends show that having greens in the home is a must! The question is how do you find the best quality greenery?!
I am so glad that there are now some artificial plants have really become more refined and is now more real looking than I remember them when I was younger. Needless to say, when I was contacted by Distinctive Spaces to partner with them I LEAPED at the opportunity. I actually purchased some of the plants from their Distinctive Silks range that I used for the hanging installation at the ISCA Decorex 2018 stand in Cape Town from them so was familiar with the company and the quality of their products.
Who is Distinctive Spaces?
Distinctive Spaces help Businesses and Home Owners create beautiful spaces. They design stunning spaces that help Businesses boost employee productivity and customer loyalty or assist Home Owners to create nurturing and welcoming spaces filled with happy memories. Distinctive Spaces is a dynamic, creative interior and exterior design company that strives to offer customers the very best products and services in these niche premium market sectors.
Distinctive Silks offers high quality silk plants, trees, silk flowers and green walls, whilst Distinctive Interiors offer an exceptional service to transform your home or corporate space.
The most popular part of their business, Distinctive Insta-Green allows them to create modern and highly effective green walls or vertical gardens with the combination of their silk plants. Insta-Green can also be used to create instant hedges and topiaries. (But more about this in a later article)
The Group has been a member of the Interior Plantscapers Association (IPSA) for the past 20 years. As a member, companies have to adhere to a specific code of conduct, which gives you peace of mind, as your guarantee of professionalism. With over 20 years in the creative design industry, Distinctive Spaces offers a wealth of scope and services.
Living or Artificial Plants: Which is Best for Your Home?
This question has caused division among home owners and interior decorators alike but, I am convinced that there is a place for both in a home. I often find that combining artificial and living plants is also a great combination. I had a laugh every time friends come over and see the Distinctive array of plants that they actually cannot believe that it is not the real deal and have to touch it to convince themselves that they are artificial plants.
The benefits of living plants in your home
- Decorating with live plants can improve your homes air quality and act as a natural air freshener.
- Caring and looking after plants is definitely fulfilling – seeing them grow or in some cases bloom just makes ones heart happy.
- You can use some plants like herbs for cooking and eating, fake ones not so much.
- Real plants are often cheaper to purchase than its artificial counterparts.
The benefits of indoor artificial plants
- Not all living plants are hypoallergenic – some make pollen than can aggravate allergies whereas artificial plants don’t. Note that they do need to be dusted from time to time!
- Some plants require very specific living conditions to thrive that might include direct sun, or no sun, lots of water or very little. Artificial plants can style anywhere with very limited care!
- Artificial plants look after themselves when you can’t or forget to. They also allow you to add some greenery in hard to reach places like a pot at the top of a shelf etc.
- Let’s face it… Real plants can be messy at times, water can overflow or they might lose their leaves. If you have high-quality artificial plants they should not discolor or lose their leaves.
How to distinguish good quality artificial plants?
You definitely get what you pay for when it comes to artificial greenery. Some tips when it comes to purchasing artificial plants:
- Look for the ones that are most realistic – as close to the natural version of the real plant as possible.
- Observe the thickness of the fabric – the thinner the fabric the shorter the lifespan.
- Good quality plants are usually single mould which means that it is more difficult for leaves to come off easily.
- If the color ain’t real then the look will not be real. Choose artificial plants that are as close to the colour of the real version as possible.
How can lovilees view the products or get in touch?
If you are looking for silk or Plastic plants in South Africa and want to view them they have showrooms in Johannesburg, Pretoria, Durban and Cape Town and service all major cities around South Africa. You can also browse their website and request a quote.
As the winners of over 30 awards, both locally and internationally, Distinctive Spaces has won more awards over the past 20 years than any other company in this field. This is testament to the commitment they have to their clients and to the quality of their products.
Are you interested in seeing the before and after of my artificial green wall installation by Distinctive Designs?
Images by Melanie Wessels Photography. Styling by myself.
Disclaimer: This is a sponsored post according to my disclaimers and disclosures, I received some products in exchange for the post that will be revealed in a later post. Thanks for supporting my blog – this is as always my honest opinion.
Let's get socialInstagram: @lovilee_za
or subscribe to never miss out on any new articles in this link.