If you are into French food and desserts you will definitely love this French Madeleine Recipe. What is a Madeleine? Traditionally made as tea cake, a Madeleine (or two) is great to have as a breakfast snack as well. These petite French cakes are made with either the zest of a lemon or orange, and eggs and fresh butter. Some recipes will replace the cake flour by almond flour. When prepared, a genoise cake batter is used and not a sponge, which gives it a softer and lighter cake. It’s baked in a shell-like pan.
Nicolette, from La Petite Patisserie, re-discovered her grandmother’s old pan and was inspired to try a delicious Madeleine’s recipe. These days the pans are available from most supermarkets, especially the latest silicone version. When baking with silicone, allow cooling in the pan itself for a few minutes. Do not attempt to take cake out from the silicone too early as it will break. To serve, dust lightly with icing (powdered) sugar and orange slices. We found a pan for sale at Yuppiechef as well, see it here.
French Madeleine Recipe
Preparation time: 10 minutes | Baking time: 15 minutes | Makes: 15 small cakes
- 3 Large Eggs
- 100g Castor Sugar
- 175g Cake Flour
- 125g Melted Butter
- Zest of one orange or lemon
- Preheat the oven to 180℃.
- Prepare a 12 moulded Madeleine pan by brushing it with melted butter. When using a silicone pan, do not add anything to the pan to coat it.
- Mix the eggs, sugar until it is light and foamy. Fold in the flour.
- Fold in the melted butter and zest.
- Pour the batter into the moulds and bake at 180℃ for 12 -15 minutes until golden.
- Before removing the cakes, touch them gently. They should have a springy and spongy texture.
- Dust gently with icing sugar.
All of the images were taken by Yolande Marx Photography.
You might also want to try your hand at baking a Paris Breast Pastry.
Let's get socialInstagram: @lovilee_za
or subscribe to never miss out on any new articles in this link.