This is the perfect winters day warm soup to share – a French Onion Soup Recipe. It felt right to have such a traditional French addition to our starters. It’s great as a winter meal due to the rich taste of onions, garlic and toasted bread. See the full article and post here.
French Onion Soup Recipe
- 60g Butter
- 800g Onions, peeled and chopped
- 1 Garlic clove, chopped
- 50g Flour
- 2l Chicken Stock
- 200 ml White Wine
- 1 Bay Leave
- 2 Thyme sprigs
- 12 Slices Stale / toasted Baguette
- 250g Gruyere Cheese, finely grated
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan and add the onion.
- Cook for 25min until caramelized.
- Add the garlic and flour then stir occasionally to form the base of the sauce.
- Gradually add the stock and wine and continue to stir while doing so. Bring to the boil.
- Add some seasoning, the bay leave and thyme. Cook for another 25 minutes. Remove the bay leave and thyme.
- Toast the baguette in the oven till golden brown. Grate gruyere cheese over the bread and add two slices per bowl.Submerge one under the soup until completely covered and serve a second on top.
Images: Yolande Marx Photography
Let's get socialInstagram: @lovilee_za
or subscribe to never miss out on any new articles in this link.