Whether you have just started out on a gluten free journey or have been following a gluten free diet for some time, you will love this Gluten free chocolate cupcakes recipe. Eating gluten free does not mean you have to miss out on delicious desserts or treats.
Some notes on gluten free baking. Of course gluten is not present in the flours that we use to make these cupcakes, and because of that another form of “binding material or glue” needs to be added. We add a product called xanthan gum into the mix, which ensures that the batters are combined together and assist in the “stretching” of flours during the baking process.
Therefore, these batters do react also differently when mixed together. The “teacher” within me just wanted to let you all know this, do not be alarmed when they react strangely when beaten. The batter will “climb” the beaters so just lift the hand held beater up in the air, allowing the batter to fall back into the bowl. It does this, as the batter is a bit stiffer than normal cake batter.
Another tip is to ensure that when the batter is “scooped” into the wrappers, that they get shaped round, as this is how the cupcake will look like after it was baked.
Gluten free Chocolate Cupcakes recipe
Makes 12 cupcakes
- 178ml sorghum flour
- 178ml potato starch, cornstarch or tapioca starch
- 118ml unsweetened cocoa powder
- 237ml organic cane sugar
- 2ml salt
- 5ml baking powder
- 5ml baking soda
- 5ml xanthan gum
- 237ml warm coffee (not too hot or it will make the starch gluey)
- 1 Egg
- 3 tbsp organic canola or coconut oil
- 10ml bourbon vanilla extract
- 1/2tsp Lemon Juice
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC. Line a 12 cup cupcake pan with paper wrappers
- Sift together all dry ingredients.
- Add in the coffee, egg, oil, vanilla and lemon juice. Beat the batter for a full two to three minutes until all the ingredients are incorporated and the batter is smooth.
- Using a big spoon or ice cream spoon scoop the batter into the cups and smooth the tops (this is very important as they will rise exactly like you have placed them in the cups).
- Bake in the centre of a preheated oven till done- about 20 minutes or so.
- Cool the cupcakes on a cooling/wire rack.
- Ice them when completely cooled. See recipe for coffee flavoured icing below.
Chocolate Buttercream Icing Recipe
Enough for 12 cupcakes
- 350 ml Icing Sugar (Sifted)
- 50ml tbsp cream
- 2 tbsp coffee granules (mixed into the cream)
- 250g Margarine or Butter
- A few drops of food colouring or vanilla
- Beat the butter in a large bowl until soft. Add half of the icing sugar and beat until smooth.
- Add the remaining icing sugar and the coffee-cream and beat the mixture until creamy and smooth. Beat in the rest of the icing sugar.
- Stir in the food colouring or vanilla until well combined.
Recipe and images from the kitchen of Western Cape based, La Petite Patisserie.
Are you following a gluten free diet? Try our Honey and Almond cake recipe.
Let's get socialInstagram: @lovilee_za
or subscribe to never miss out on any new articles in this link.