Winter brings with it a whole array of fruit and vegetables only seen during this chilly period. Citrus is abundant during the winter months so we want to use this seasonal fruit as much as we can during this time. This grapefruit curd tart recipe is a beautiful combination of sweetness and tartness. You can make the pastry shells and keep them in the freezer until you need them.
Pastry shell recipe
- 1 1/2 Cups of Flour
- 1/2 Cup of Icing Sugar
- 1/2 Cup of Cold Butter (cubed)
- 1 Egg
- Ice Cold Water
- Mix all the dry ingredients together.
- Whisk the egg gently and add to the dry ingredients – mix well (it will not combine completely)
- Add the cubed butter and rub the butter with your fingertips until you form a breadcrumb consistency (alternatively put the ingredients, except the water, into a blender and pulse until you reach a breadcrumb consistency)
- Add a teaspoon of cold water until a dough forms (try not add to much water)
- Place in the fridge for 30 minutes
- Preheat oven to 180C
- Remove from the fridge and roll the dough out on a floured surface until desired thickness is reached
- Place in a greased pie dish and cut off the excess pastry
- Cut a square piece of grease proof paper and place on top of the pastry
- Pour dried beans onto the grease proof paper to weigh the paper down
- Bake in the oven for 10 minutes until golden brown
- Remove the beans and the paper and place back in the oven until a bit more golden
Grapefruit Curd Tart recipe
- 2 Grapefruits – Juiced and zested
- 100g Butter
- 200g Sugar
- 3 Eggs (lightly beaten)
- 1 Sheet of Gelatine
- Place a glass bowl over a pot of simmering water (like a double boiler).
- Add the butter, sugar and grapefruit juice into the bowl and stir until the butter has melted and the sugar has completely dissolved.
- Add the egg to the butter/sugar mixture and whisk the mixture over the simmering water until the mixture has thickened (+- 15 – 20 Minutes)
- Soak the sheet of gelatine in cold water till soft
- Add the gelatine to the hot curd and whisk well.
- Pour into sterilized jars.
To compile the tarts place the curd into a piping bag and big the curd into the pastry shells and refrigerate for 2 hours. Enjoy! View more of my recipes shared on lovilee here.
Images: Lauren Kim Food Photography
Let's get socialInstagram: @lovilee_za
or subscribe to never miss out on any new articles in this link.