They looked super difficult to make, but my mom was here to delegate and show me how to make them and it ended up being loads of fun. What you will need is a cutting board, cookie cutters (I used a star-shaped one) blunt knife (we used an icing knife), rolling pin, spoon, brush, fork, baking paper, and a ruler.
- Ready-made Puff pastry
- Mince or Chicken as filling
- Small bowl of Water
- Small bowl of Milk
- Cook the mince or the chicken for the pies using spices or soup to flavor them. Allow the filling to cool down.
- Sprinkle flour over the cutting board or surface that you will use to roll out the puff pastry. Roll out the puff pastry so that it is around 5mm in thickness.
- Start by cutting out the house shapes using a ruler and a blunt knife. You essentially need 2 of each size as you will have to have one for the front and one for the back of each pie. My pies ranged from around 6cm in height to 12 cm for the bigger ones.
- Roll the off-cut pieces of the puff pastry together and flatten them with the rolling pin again around 5mm in thickness. Using a cookie cutter you can now start making the decorations for the houses. For the doors and windows, you can get creative – cut them using a blunt knife and ruler, add dots or lines and just have fun!
- To stick the decorations onto the houses, wet your finger with water and apply it as ‘glue’ to the house to stick the pastry items too.
- Using a spoon, add some filling to the pastries to the un-decorated backs of the pies.
- Use your finger again to wet the sides around the filling. Place the top of the pie crust that you decorated onto the bottom filled one. Using a fork, press down on the sides with just the end of the fork. This will create a lines pattern.
- Using a brush, brush the outside of the pies with milk.
- Place the pies on baking paper onto a flat oven tray. Bake at 180 degrees until they start to turn brown.
Let's get socialInstagram: @lovilee_za
or subscribe to never miss out on any new articles in this link.