Mother’s day is around the corner and if you have no idea what to do or make for mom, we might have a solution. I first discovered this felt topiary DIY and felt pom-poms on Pinterest and then followed the link to Sugar Tot Designs. I then tried taking my own images, but feel free to make use of the tutorial on Sugar Tot designs if mine makes no sense!
We made use of our new ‘mom’ or ‘ma’ vinyls in the lovilee store to decorate the bottles and used the Consol jam jars, but purity or other baby food bottles will also do the trick. Remember that spray-painting the lids are not a very good idea if you use it with foods, unless you know that the paint is safe! You can rather cover the lids in washi-tape or use fabric to stick on with non-toxic glue off-course. You can fill them with Fizzers, Easter eggs (if you can find any) or Jelly beans for colour.
What you will need?
- Washi Tape
- Sosatie skewer
- Screw or nail
- Jar with lid
- Sweets of your choice
- Glass or circle shape
- Apply the vinyl to a clean glass surface as per the instructions provided
- Make a hole in the top of the lid of the glass bottle using a nail and a hammer. You can increase the hole size by turning the screw in the hole.
- Fill the bottle with your sweets of choice.
- Cut out 12 circles approximately 8 cm in diameter out of the felt. I used a glass to draw them onto the felt and cut it out on the lines. Cut out a smaller one, about 6 cm in diameter that will be used in the center of the pom-pom.
- Proceed to fold the big circles as per the images below. Sticking each one onto the smaller circle.
- Stick 6 of the bigger circles onto the smaller one. Let it dry by placing something heavy on top of it. Do the same for the other side. (if you want a fuller looking pom-pom you can add more circles).
- You can either paint the skewer with non-toxic paint or cover it in washi tape.
- Add the skewer stick with topiary into the hole.
Now all you have to do is give it to mom on mother’s day!
Images by Tracey Kelsey Photography.
Let's get socialInstagram: @lovilee_za
or subscribe to never miss out on any new articles in this link.