After so many questions in class and for the sake of research, Nicolette from La Petite Patisserie decided to make a Macaron. So let’s rather call these Coconut Macarons instead of just Macarons. They differ quite a lot from the French Macarons, which are made with almond flour, comes in a variety of pastel colours and usually sandwiched with flavoured buttercreams or chocolate ganache.
The food encyclopedia “Larousse Gastronomique”, mentions that the word “Macaron” comes from the Italian word “ Maccherone” and means fine dough. The American cookie “Macaroon”, is laden with Coconut and a sugar syrup, usually piped into a spiral or swirl and baked for a little bit longer.
This confectionery can also be used as a crust for pies or the base for cheesecakes. I have found different varieties from bakers out there. Some has crushed pineapple, raspberries or cherries inside. I’ve made mine quite simple, but do have a handful of fresh cherries nearby to decorate them.
Coconut Macaron Recipe (also called Coconut macaroon recipe)
Preparation time: 15 minutes | Baking time: 20 – 25 minutes | Servings: 40
- 3 Large Egg Whites
- 150g Sugar
- 400g Desiccated Coconut
- 1/4tsp Salt
- 5ml Vanilla Extract
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Beat the egg whites until soft peaks form. Add the sugar a small amount at a time until all the sugar is combined.
- Fold in the coconut and salt until well mixed.
- Add the vanilla extract last and mix well. Should the variation of chopped fruit be added, add it last to the mixture.
- With a tablespoon measure out a small amount of mixture and dollop it onto the baking sheet.
- Bake for 20 -25 minutes or until just golden in colour. Keep them on the tray for another 10 minutes after baking, and then cool them in the fridge to help them firm up. They will be soft when removed from the tray, so be careful not to brake them.
I hope that you have enjoyed this macaron recipe. If you are planning your Christmas menu, you might also want to try out this Cream cheese dipped cherry recipe.
Let's get socialInstagram: @lovilee_za
or subscribe to never miss out on any new articles in this link.