Detlev & Riané Booysen tied the knot earlier this year at Ludwig’s Rose Farm in Pretoria in a gorgeous DIY wedding. The couple met at a commune braai in varsity and from that same day it all started. Soon thereafter we were in a relationship and we went out for six years later, they got married. Photographer, Raw Motive, did an amazing job capturing this special day that took around seven months to plan.
The bride decided on the colours of the wedding whilst browsing Pinterest and paging through magazines. All the colours she considered could not match the white and green palette that she selected. It was also easy to then select flowers as I was not bound to a certain type – she could just get anything white and green that she fancied on the day at the flower market.
[“Lovilee #DIYWedding by @garickvnstaden: http://bit.ly/1NxvQtz”]
Tell us more about the proposal
Detlev was cooking dinner like never before one Friday when I got home. He opened a very fancy bottle of wine, even though we were planning to go cycling the next morning… I was not allowed to do a thing in the kitchen but drink my wine. When the food was ready Detlev called me upstairs to the balcony – there was a HUGE bunch of flowers and the table was set with candles, etc. After dinner we started dancing and then he went down on his knee and asked me to marry him. One of the best moments in my life! Intimate and private.
The couple did plenty of DIY’ing for the wedding that included:
- The wedding stationary myself, the bride is “self-taught” and created the watercolor painting stationary herself. She also emailed the ‘save the date’ and invitations to save on printing costs.
- The bride, her sister and friends folded origami birds. They got together, ordered pizza and just folded loads and loads of birds.
- The bride’s grandmother planted succulent roses on their farm and used them in old food tins. They removed the food labels and cleaned the tins, using a sharp tool & hammer made a hole at bottom of tin and added the potting soil and succulents. These were excellent as they had no favors on the table and ended up giving the tins to guests as they left.
- The bride, her mom, sister and Petro went to the JHB Multi flora market to buy and choose the flowers on the Thursday before the wedding.
Do you have any advice for other couples planning their wedding?
- Stay calm, enjoy it, spend money on what matters to you and DO NOT spend money on the rest, start soon, use Pinterest.
- Do what you like, do not let family/ bridesmaids upset you/tell you what to do.
- Rather spend on the honeymoon, it is the best holiday you’ll ever have.
Other lovilees that made the day possible included
Décor & Décor Hire: Nici’s Hiring
Second-shooter: Ettiene Fourie Photography
Timber tables: Tentworx
DJ: Multimusic Entertainment
Hair: The Hair & Body Studio
Wedding dress: De La Vida Bridal Couture (St. Patrick 2015 range)
Bridesmaid dresses: The Maiden
Make-up: Elite Elegance
Bride’s Ring: Beaudell Designs
Groom’s Ring: Wolf Bros
Officiant: Ds Jana de Lange
Let's get socialInstagram: @lovilee_za
or subscribe to never miss out on any new articles in this link.