If this is the first time that you hear of the 2020 Creative Challenge, then you can find out more about it here. Hand lettering will be the theme of month 2 of the 2020 Creative Challenge, last month we tried our hands at watercolor painting. I just love the ideas and submissions that we received on our Creative Challenge Facebook Group and remember that you can start and share any of the challenges’ images if you participate with us in this group.
February 2020 Creative Challenge – Handlettering
Hand lettering takes a more illustrative approach and really encompasses anything that isn’t calligraphy or typography.
Some interesting definitions:
- Hand lettering = drawn using multiple strokes
- Calligraphy = written using single strokes
- Typography = arranged using preformed letters
When it comes to hand lettering, the instrument you use does not really determine the font as you draw and re-draw or paint and re-paint to get the desired look and feel. People often do hand lettering on chalkboards for decor at weddings and special occasions. They also use watercolour paints or inks for the stationary.
There are some really great things that you can do with hand lettering like
- Decorating glass jars, bottles or vases
- Making guest seating charts
- Make artworks to frame
- Decorating snail mail
- Perfect gift wrapping and card creations
Some great resources:
And this video is really great to get started with the basics
There are 12 ‘projects’ outlined for this year, you might be familiar with some, all or none… You do not have to be an expert or even intermediate to try your hand at these, just try something new and who knows, you might have a talent you were not aware of.
- January 2020: Watercolor painting
- February 2020: Hand-lettering
- March 2020: Origami / Paper craft / Paper flowers
- April 2020: Sewing / Knitting / Crochet
- May 2020: Making Miniatures
- June 2020: Embroidery / Punch-needling
- July 2020: Thrifting / Up-cycling something
- August 2020: Floral Arrangements
- September 2020: Line Drawings
- October 2020: Clay / Pottery
- November 2020: Nail Art
- December 2020: Wreathing
Here’s how you can get involved in the 2020 Creative Challenge
- Join the official Creative Challenge Facebook Group
Ask questions about technique, share your struggles and show off your progress
- Collaborate in the Creative Challenge Pinterest Board
- Snap and share photos of your favourite projects, tips and tutorials on the Facebook Group / Instagram using the #lovileeCreativeChallenge hashtag, so that we can all follow your journeys.
Are you up for the challenge? Have any questions? Leave a comment and I’d be happy to answer for you. I look forward to connecting with you, fellow creatives!
Let's get socialInstagram: @lovilee_za
or subscribe to never miss out on any new articles in this link.